Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Morning adventures to No Name Peak

This post was delayed due to last week's happenings.

March 28, 2011

I woke up early this morning to get some solid shred adventuring accomplished. Mel, Mike, and I woke up early to catch the first tram at 9:00. The new tram holds 100 people... we were 98, 99, and 100 to get on. Our goal was to hike Cody Peak, Powder 8's, and No Name Peak before Mel had to be at work at noon.

We got off the tram at 9:11. It was 12 degrees at the top of Rendezvous Mountain with howling winds. We made our way to the base of the Cody hike and spent a few minutes discussing the high winds and low visibility. We decided to go for it.

I should have used the GoPro during the early part of the hike. There is some pretty crazy rock scrambling in the beginning of the Cody bootpack. A narrow ridge with drops on either side. It can be a little scary in high winds.

We were the first people to the top of Cody Peak this morning. It was a good feeling. Due to the wind, the top of No Shadows was mostly a large cornice, but we scoped a small spot that was a rollover. The snow was softer than expected.

From No Shadows we traversed over to the Powder 8 bootpack. We were breaking trail up to the ridge. At this point we had about an hour and twenty minutes left. Normally, this wouldn't be a concern, but the fact that we were breaking trail added a lot of time and energy to the route. We didn't get as far as we would have liked, but we'll save the rest for next time.

The side-step around to No Name Peak was completely blown in. We were breaking trail. We were traversing across a steep slope with very flat light. I was punching hand holds into the wall and trying my hardest to keep my footing. It was probably one of the most stressful hikes I have done. Once we were under the cliffs in a protected area it was a huge relief. We used so much energy just concentrating on getting across the open face. The turns down No Name were incredible.

We hiked out and dropped into Pinedale Canyon, leap frogging to save time. Mel made it to work just on time. I feel exhausted from breaking trail all morning, but it was definitely worth all the effort. Tomorrow is another day for another adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment