Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Mount Glory to Coal Creek

This morning Brandon and I woke up early and went out to the Teton Steakhouse for breakfast. It's an all-you-can-eat buffet for $5.99. We hung out and chatted for probably close to two hours before heading back to the apartment.

Brandon and I weren't feeling very motivated this morning, but Erik convinced us to go on a quick backcountry ski. I decided to take out my new skis - the Line EP Pros. I just got them mounted yesterday and they are huge. 185cm long and 127mm under foot. They're pretty much snowboards.

[ Ready to roll out ]

We decided to do the Mount Glory to Coal Creek run. We parked at the bottom of the West side of the pass and hitched a ride back up to the summit. From there we hiked about 2,000 feet to the top of Glory. There was a lot of snow and the sun was shining on and off throughout the hike.

[ Erik in the shelter on the top of Glory ]

[ Brandon joining us ]

The ski down was alright. The snow was deep, but also somewhat heavy making it hard for us to keep speed and make turns. Brandon and I stopped to take some photos.

[ Brandon in the deep ]

[ Erik making turns ]

At one point I got seperated from Erik and Brandon. We were probably within a couple hundred feet of each other, but because of the trees and snow we were unable to hear each other yelling. I tried blowing my whistle, but not luck. We were also in a valley out of cell service. Erik and Brandon hiked their way back up to where they last saw me, but realized I had been above them. I wasn't sure if they were ahead of me or behind me so I didn't know whether I should start hiking up or continuing down the trail. With no luck trying to communicate, I slowly made my way towards the parking lot, stopping frequently. A couple of snowboarders passed me and said they saw nobody behind me. Minutes later, the guys came around the corner. That was a relief.

The skiing was alright, but it was a good day in the backcountry.

[ Me. ]

No comments:

Post a Comment